How time flies! It’s only been a little over a week since Jim and I got back from our whirlwind weekend in San Francisco but it feels like yesterday. I love San Francisco but it is just so gosh darn far away for a weekend.
Over the last few years we’ve had a few of these quick trips to SF with friends for a wedding and a law school reunion and each time I keep perfecting my carry-on bag. You need entertainment for the flight that won’t weigh you down plus a few essential toiletries so you can hit the ground running as soon as you land. All while keeping it light enough to not slow you down as you make your way through the airport. Here are some of my must haves…
1. A great all-purpose tote is my favorite bag to travel with. It holds everything you need during the flight but is also versatile enough to use as a purse when you get to your destination. This Transport Tote from Madewell is just gorgeous. I love it!
2. Magazines are one of my favorite flight luxuries. I so rarely have time to just sit and flip through a magazine when I’m at home. But, when faced with a six hour flight ahead of me with no kids screaming for my attention, bring on the magazines! Kinfolk is currently my favorite magazine. It is beautiful!
3. I’m always vacillating between hot and cold when I’m flying so it is essential that I wear layers. A scarf keeps me cozy on the plane (and on those chilly SF evenings). I’m a bit obsessed with green this season (and tassels) so this scarf from Old Navy is perfect!
4. On our flight into SF last week my ears were killing me as we landed. This hasn’t happened to me in years and I was caught off guard and had nothing to help pop my ears. I was definitely prepared for the flight home. This Glee Gum is my favorite all natural gum.
5. I’ve read a few books on the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad but nothing compares to a real Kindle. Jim got me a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas and it’s the best way to read a book (aside from, you know… a real book).
6 – 8. These three products are my must have products for when I travel. I never go anywhere without my Burt’s Bees tinted lip balm. It adds sheer color, isn’t sticky and moisturizes all in one. I haven’t tried a color that I haven’t liked. Not only do I love how the Oribe Cote d’Azure hair refresher smells, but it also takes away the static in my hair that always happens when I fly. It’s not really a dry shampoo but it does make you feel clean and fresh. Over the years I’ve become a germaphobe and traveling is one of my worst case germ scenarios. I always have some hand sanitizer on hand and the Burt’s Bees with witch hazel keeps the germs away and my hands stay soft.